Tuesday, June 15, 2010

40 Days of Prayer Over the Summer

I have been struggling with being bitter at those who are involved in the practice of abortion. I have even found myself angry at the men and women who have abortions, which is not usual for me. I think that the massiveness of the task of reducing the number of abortions (Dare I say praying for the end of all abortions?) has been overwhelming me lately.

I know, intellectually, that we only do so much to help a person choose life over death. I know, spiritually, that the heart of the individual involved must turn from thinking only of self to thinking about the other “person” involved in her challenging pregnancy situation.

According to the statistics for abortion in Minnesota, the main reasons for abortion are economic, do not want children at this time, and the nebulous “other” category.

Reason for Abortion*, 2008 Occurring in MN; MN Residents
Pregnancy was a result of rape 76; 67
Pregnancy was a result of incest 12; 12
Economic reasons 4,254; 3,984
Does not want children at this time 9,368; 8,675
Emotional health is at stake 848; 792
Physical Health is at stake 627; 574
Continued pregnancy will cause impairment of major bodily function 34; 29
Pregnancy resulted in fetal anomalies 150; 134
Unknown or the woman refused to answer 1,440; 1,264
Other stated reason 2,891; 2,629

This shows me that the main reasons for abortion are based on fear and selfishness. I know this from personal experience so I am not trying to judge anyone, just making an observation.

So, as a way to refocus my thoughts towards positive action, I have decided that I need an attitude adjustment. To that end I am going to pray through this for 40 days, praying each day for a certain aspect of this issue. Would you please join me in doing so? I started this a couple of days ago, so here are the first 3 days of prayer requests:

Day 1
1. Praying today for all women who are just finding out about a pregnancy, that they would fall in love with their babies.

Day 2
2. Praying today for all men who are just finding out about a pregnancy, that they would fall in love with their babies.

Day 3
3. Praying today for abortion clinic doctors that they would turn from the practice of abortion.


No comments: