Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Twisted Thinking about a "Blob of Invisible Tissue"

Lately I seem to be having more conversations with people about the idea that it is easier to have an abortion than to make an adoption plan for a child. When I ask what makes adoption seem so hard, the response is usually, "I would not want my child to be walking around out there, with me not knowing what is happening to him/her, or that the kid would be mad at me for giving him/her away."

When I ask them how they can have these kind of "concerned, parental feelings" for the child if they carried to term, yet can choose to have an abortion (read: exercise choice, kill, destroy, terminate, eliminate or whatever word you want to use here)? They usually respond, "Well, it's just a blob of tissue and I can't see it if I abort it, so I am not attached to it."

I have been trying to respond like this:

So, you are telling me that if you don't see the child there is no loss but if you carry to term there is a loss? Tell me how can you have such a different response to the same "blob of tissue"? If it is, as YOU say, a "blob of tissue" and "not visible", at what point would you begin to experience "concerned, parental feelings" for said "blob of invisible tissue " if you carried to term? Am I understanding you to say that you have conflicted feelings about said "blob of invisible tissue" or that you have parental concerns for your child? Please help me understand how you are rationalizing these conflicting feelings.

There is usually more to the conversation and hopefully the person will stop and consider that all of her responses are focused on self-preservation not on the well-being of the child. Pray with me that these encounters will slow the individuals down and cause them to think about how their thinking is, as my friend Karen once said, "stinkin" , and needs to be realigned with truth!

Romans 12:2 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am glad I kept the "blob of tissue" that some "friends" tried to tell me to abort many years ago. He is now an intelligent, sweet 17 year old boy! I'm pretty attached to that blob. I think my mom is pretty attached to her blobs of tissue, too -- me and my brother!