Monday, October 10, 2011

When Salt and Light Meet Fear and Selfishness

You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt loses its flavor, how shall it be seasoned? It is then good for nothing but to be thrown out and trampled underfoot by men. You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven. Matthew 5:13-16 (NKJV)

Reflecting on the past year of ministry is causing me to think about two things: the incredible self-centeredness of human beings and the incredible generosity of human beings. One group refuses to sacrifice 9 months of their lives so another human being can live, and the other asks what more can I sacrifice so that a human being can live?

I remember being part of the first group when I had three abortions in my late teens and early twenties. I remember the fear that drove me to the self-protective choice of abortion. I remember coming to the realization with my 4th pregnancy that there was someone else involved in my crisis -- my unborn child -- who I had failed to consider. I remember being touched by the human beings in the second group, those who said, "We can help you, you can live with us, we will provide for you, we will sacrifice our comfort and convenience for the sake of you and your baby."

I understand the fears and concerns of women in difficult pregnancy situations, but I have seen, first-hand, how the sacrifice of the second group can impact the self-centerness of the first (me included). When we as Christians act as "salt and light" in our communities, beautiful things happen -- things like life and friendship and faith and hope.

It is possible; I have lived it.

No comments: