Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Please help my friend Derrick in his quest for a chance to tryout for the Paralympics

My name is Derrick, and I have Spina Bifida.

The Spina Bifida Associate (SBA) estimates that there are as many as 54 million people living with disabilities in the United States . My Spina Bifida has a name called Myelomeningocele. This form of Spina Bifida occurs when the meninges (protective covering of the spinal cord) and spinal nerves come through the open part of the spine. This is the most serious type of Spina Bifida, which causes nerve damage and more severe disabilities. As a result of this disease, nerve impulses are not received in the brain, and I cannot feel any part of my feet.

I started playing soccer in kindergarten and fell in love with the sport. My physical limitations did not stop me from playing; however, after four major surgeries, I can no longer compete against people who do not have limitations.

I decided to attempt to tryout for the Paralympics. If you are not aware of the Paralympics, they are a multi-sport-event for athletes with physical and sensorial limitations. They are held every four years following the Olympic Games. They are sometimes confused with Special Olympics, which are only for people with intellectual disabilities.

Usually athletes who take part in the Paralympics have CP, blindness, and/or a brain injury. My condition, Spina Bifida, is not currently considered to be a "qualifying" disease for soccer. I am asking you to sign my petition to change the rules and allow me to tryout. All I am asking for is a chance to try out for the soccer team.

How you can help:

1. Go to http://www.ipetitions.com.
2. In the search box type playsoccer and sign my petition.
3. It is free, you do not have to donate.
4. It is important that you send the instructions to all of your friends, family, coworkers, and loved ones.

By doing this you are making a difference for people from all around the globe who are looking to find a place to compete and play the sports they love.

Thank you,
Derrick

No comments: